Spring and finally sprung and what better time than now to start a healthy detox to kick start your metabolism and get you ready for the summer?!
As a food consultant working across Leicester and the surrounding region, I understand that most people would like to be in better shape and feeling healthy in time for the summer sun. For many a healthy detox can be just the ticket but why should you embrace a health detox, and what are the benefits in doing so?
Firstly, there’s no magic formula that you can take that will suddenly turn you into a healthier version of yourself, however hopefully you can benefit from some of the tips and guidance I am about to share with you.
The Key to Your Metabolism
With a wealth of experience in the food industry the key to a fitter, healthier you lies in your metabolism and how clean your internal body is. As a biochemical process, metabolism dictates how fast you turn calories into energy and this is something which you need to address in order to kickstart your healthy lifestyle and get yourself summer ready!
I’m sure you are aware that you use energy and burn fat when you are exercising and digesting food, but did you know that you also continue to burn fat even when you are resting? The rate at which you burn fat when at rest is called your BMR, or Basal Metabolic Rate. It’ll be music to your ears but there are methods to speed up your BMR so that you can burn fat faster even when you aren’t doing much and also speed up your metabolic rate.
As with everything in life, in contrast to speeding up your metabolism it can also slow down. In fact, you may well be doing things currently that slow down your metabolism and allow your body to store excess fat without even realising it. Such factors include:
- Eating Poorly – My first suggestion is to stop with the fizzy drinks and sugary treats. While we all deserve a little treat once in while why not speak to me about planning your meals to focus on organic, healthy, and natural foods instead of high processed fat foods?
- Not Enough Sleep – If your body is exhausted then the efficiency with which it burns calories diminishes. A well rested body is more efficient and not only will it make you feel better, your body will thank you in the long run too.
- Being Stressed Out – Stress causes high levels of a hormone called cortisol in your body, which leads to excess fat and a lower metabolism. As difficult as it may sound, try to kick back, relax and unwind, and stop stressing…positive mental attitude really will help to kick-start your metabolism and change your attitude towards food in a positive way!
- Fad Dieting –Avoid fad diets and super low calorie diets. Low calorie diets cause your body to switch to starvation mode, your metabolism slows down to keep you from burning too many calories, then when you eat again your body stores the calories as fat. Fad diets may work in the short term, but the true path to a healthier you is to improve your overall eating habits over the long term.
- Age- unfortunately some factors affecting your metabolism include some that are beyond your control, such as older age. Your metabolism naturally slows down with age and this is especially true in women.
- Health conditions- an under-active thyroid, family genetics or adrenal burnout can also lead to weight gain and a slower metabolism. But that doesn’t mean you cannot kick-start your healthy living and speed up your metabolism in time for the summer!
With this in mind, if you have any concerns or questions about how to change your eating habits, how to safely begin a healthy detox and how to eat more ‘clean’ foods, I can help you.
So, what’s the best way to speed up your metabolism? You’ve guessed it- a combination of exercise and delicious, clean and healthy food. As a private chef working across Leicester and the rest of the UK and with many years of experience working as a food consultant, I am on hand to help get your food choices on track, enjoying a healthy detox and kick start your metabolism ready for the summer!
I live and breathe delicious food, all day, every day and look forward to being able to help you live, eat and think ‘clean’. What's more, as a judge for the fantastic FreeFrom Food Awards- now in its 10th year- I have a wealth of experience in preparing and cooking delicious dishes which are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and nut-free- perfect for those with allergies and sensitivities.
I was honoured to have attended the annual awards only a few days ago on the 28th March 2017 and cannot wait to share the details with you very soon. Watch this space!
Get in touch today to find out how I can help you by emailing through my online form or by calling me on: 07789 326 547 to discuss your individual preferences, requirements and goals for the summer months.