Earlier this month I was honoured to be a part of The Allergy and Free From Show at the Exhibition Centre in Liverpool. Spanning two days across 4th – 5th November 2017 this huge event is in fact the world’s largest celebration of ‘free from’ food, drink and lifestyle products.
In addition to brand new exciting choices for food and drink, there was also oodles of brilliant, ground breaking home products and health solutions to further improve the ‘free from’ lives so many of us are now following.
At the opposite end of the kitchen to Kate McBain, FREEE by Doves Farm welcomed more cooking demonstrations… this time from special guest chefs including MasterChef champions and stars from The Great British Bake Off!
As an experienced and knowledgeable food consultant working across the whole of the United Kingdom my love of food and passion for allergens is stronger than ever before. With this in mind, it was an absolute pleasure to be asked to attend the event and do a live cookery demonstration on the Sunday to the many visitors, all of whom were keen to learn more and try new food and recipes.
Between 11.30am – 12noon I stirred up a storm in the kitchen and created a delicious Gluten Free South African Dessert: Coconut Shortbread, Caramel & Cream Mousse Laced with Crisp Peppermint Chocolate, a Drizzle of Brandy and Desiccated Toasted Coconut. To say it went down a treat would be an understatement!
As well as the live cookery session, I also gave a talk and provided expert advice to those in attendance as my interest in helping people to improve their lives is a passion of mine.
For those living with an allergen, be it gluten, wheat, eggs, nuts or dairy, or if you need to avoid dust mites, latex or any other material, this event is the perfect one-stop shop for all and isn’t to be missed!
Keep an eye out for next year’s event in Liverpool and across three other venues in the UK but in the meantime, if you have any questions, concerns or queries in regards to ‘free from’ cooking and allergens, do not hesitate to get in touch.
As a professional food consultant and private chef, I’m here to help. Offering a full range of personal and private chef services across Leicester and the rest of the UK, as well as expert food consultancy and allergen chef services, don’t delay.
Get in touch today and together let’s make positive steps forwards on your ‘free from’ journey. I’ll be with you every step of the way!
For more information about FREEE by Doves Farm, see here
RECIPE - GLUTEN FREE
DECONSTRUCTED PEPPERMINT CRISP DESSERT
Ingredients (serves 6–8):
500ml fresh cream
1 can caramel treat
1 can condensed milk
Rind of 1 lemon
Juice of 2–3 lemons (depending on size)
4 Tbsp (60ml) brandy of your choice I like courvoisier.
3 Aero mint chocolates, roughly broken
Toasted coconut shavings, for garnish (optional)
For the coconut shortbread:
¼ cup (25g) desiccated coconut
80g butter, at room temperature
Pinch of salt
¼ cup (65g) castor sugar
A few drops vanilla extract
80g Doves Gluten free Flour
1. To prepare the coconut shortbread, preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the desiccated coconut on a baking tray and pop in the oven. Bake for 5–8 minutes until the coconut is just starting to turn golden, stir once or twice during the cooking time. Once the coconut is evenly toasted, remove it from the oven and leave to cool.
2. Place the toasted coconut in a food processor and blitz until you’re left with a fine powder. Leave the oven on for your shortbread.
3. Next add the butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and gluten free flour to the food processor. Combine to a soft dough (if your butter is a bit cold, you’ll need to add a few tablespoons of water).
4. Roll the shortbread out between two pieces of baking paper to about 3–5 mm thickness. Place on a floured baking tray. Pop in the oven and bake for 15–18 minutes or until golden. Remove and allow to cool.
5. Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Fold in the caramel treat, condensed milk, lemon juice and rind.
6. Break the shortbread up into large chunks and drizzle with enough brandy to just soften slightly, or to taste.
7. Layer half of the chunks in individual glasses, then pour over a third of the cream mixture. Repeat layers, including your roughly broken Aero mint chocolate , ending with the cream mixture and shards of the delicious minty chocolate and coconut shavings.
If you can, leave the dessert to rest in the fridge for an hour or two. This gives the biscuits plenty of time to soak up all the flavours.
Follow this link to find out more about The Allergy & Free From Show North